BIOGRAPHY - DR. (MRS) BEATRICE WIAFE ADDAI, MD.PhD
Dr. (Mrs.) Beatrice Wiafe Addai has 28 years experience as a Medical officer in Ghana; thus from 1989 to Date. She has been a Breast Surgeon for the past twelve years and a consultant in Breast Cancer Management.
Her training and wide scope of study as a specialist Breast Pathologist and a surgeon has placed her at a convenient exposition as the Chief Executive Officer and the Senior Medical Officer of the Peace and Love Hospital both in Accra and Kumasi; a specialist hospital that is championing the course of Breast Cancer and its related diseases in Ghana.
Due to her charisma, Dr. Wiafe Addai is known as a fine role model and inspiration to women and society as a whole and the quest for a unique professionalism as far as patients care and welfare are concerned. By God’s grace and her endowed knowledge, hundreds of women have been healed of various diseases through her directives particularly Breast Cancer.
From a humble beginning since twelve years ago, Peace and Love Hospital now serves as a resource Centre for the Diagnosis, treatment, Counseling, Rehabilitation, and Research for Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Hepatitis Infections and Renal Dialysis among others. It is in view of these, other tangible facts, and through her innovation and preoccupation of developing the infrastructure of Breast Cancer Advocacy, Breast Care International (BCI), an NGO that seeks to the promotion of Breast Cancer Awareness in Ghana especially in the remote communities was concerted in 2002 in Kumasi to intensify public awareness on the disease.
This Public Awareness campaign has salvaged hundreds of women from the devastating effect of Breast Cancer and its related disease and even men.
On weekends (mostly on Sundays where most women could be reached), after the exhaustive week days, Dr. Wiafe Addai and her able team normally embark on outreach mission among women groups, churches, Second cycle and tertiary institutions, organizations, and those marginalized in rural and deprived communities, sometimes at the expense of her own financial and logistical resources.
Dr. B. Wiafe Addai is member of several professional bodies including the Ghana Medical Association, Surgical Society of Russia, Soviet Trained Graduates Association, and International Federation of University Women (IFUW). She is a board member for the National Health Insurance Capitation in Ashanti Region. She is also a member of the Board of Governors of Mpraeso Senior High School and the Kwahu Government Hospital, Atibie.
Dr. Wiafe Addai’s passion and aspiration for the prevention, awareness and treatment of breast cancer has earned her an honorable recognition in Ghana and internationally as one of the champions advocating for the eradication of the disease. By dent of her hard work, commitment and meticulous working experience in various environments and her continuous search for better ways of delivering care for Breast Cancer patients, Dr. Wiafe-Addai has become an active international speaker. She has addressed many international conferences and symposiums sharing her rich knowledge about the disease.
1. AORTIC Conference, Marrakech in Morocco, November 2015
2. International Breast Cancer And Nutrition Symposium in Guadeloupe, France, October 2015
3. Fifth African Cairo to Cape Town Road show Meeting, July, 2014
4. African First Ladies Summit, Tanzania
5. Peer Review Meeting, Catalonia, Spain
6. International Symposium on breast cancer prevention – Purdue, USA
7. 4th Roche Middle East Oncology Conference – Malaysia in 2006,
8. The Scientific Conference Of the Kenya Society of Hematology and Oncology in 2006,
9. The European Institute of Oncology 9th Milan Breast Cancer Conference in June 2007,
10. 6th European Breast Cancer Conference in Berlin – Germany in April 2008,
11. The global Race 2009 at Washington DC – United State of America during which she was honored with Dinner with the US vice President Mr. Joe Biden in October 2009.
12. The Nigeria Cancer Conference at Abuja in January 2010,
13. Ghana Breast Cancer Symposium.
14. Pink Ribbon Red Ribbon forum dubbed “Summit To Save Lives” held Washington D.C, in USA.
Dr. (Mrs.) Wiafe-Addai has also received some international awards including:
1. BIZZ Award 2016
2. African Humanitarian Award, 2016
3. Ultimate Woman of the Year, 2016
4. Ghana Women of the Year Honors Award, 2016
5. Century International Quality Award, 2015
6. World Leader Businessperson Award, 2015
7. Excellence in Business Management Award, 2015
8. Excellence in Business Leadership Award, 2015
9. ESOR Quality Achievements Award, 2015
10. Kwawuman Achievers Award, 2015
11. Women That Soar Award (Medicine Category), 2013
12. International Arch European Award in the Diamond Category in Germany in 2013
13. Constellation Quality and Excellence Award in the Diamond Category in New York in May, 2012
14. Health and Excellence Award in Diamond Category in New York in May, 2012
15. Global Educators For All Initiative International Award as Millennium Global Ambassador in April, 2012
16. The International Award for Leadership in the Platinum Category, in Paris, France in April 2011
17. Africa’s Global Person of the Year, 2011
18. The Belgium-based European Society for Quality Research (ESQR) Award.
19. The European Award For Best Practices 2011 (Gold Category) the European Union (EU)
20. The International Gold Star for leadership in quality Award in Geneva, Switzerland, in September 2010.
She is also affiliated with the following international organizations:
1. Council Member, AORTIC Council
2. Principal Investigator, National Cancer Institute, Ghana Project
3. Executive Member, IBCN, Purdue, USA
4. Collaboration with National Cancer Institute, USA
5. Collaboration with Direct Relief, USA
6. Collaboration with AORTIC
7. Collaboration with Carrie’s Touch, USA
8. Member, Union for International Cancer Control (UICC)
9. Chair, BCI Ghana Walk for the Cure 2015
10. Chair, BCI Ghana Walk for the Cure 2014
11. Chair, BCI Ghana Walk for the Cure 2013
12. Chair, BCI Ghana Walk for the Cure 2012
13. International Breast Cancer And Nutrition Project (IBCN), Ghana
14. She was the Race Chair for the Second Susan G. Komen Ghana Race for the cure in Ghana in May, 2012.
15. She was the Race Chair for the first ever Susan G. Komen Ghana Race for the cure in Ghana in May, 2011.
16. Partnership with Loma Linda University of California (LLU) in the United States of America (USA) in the area of collaborative research in Breast Cancer and the creation of the first cancer registry in Ghana
17. Member of the Global Breast Health initiative.
Dr. (Mrs.) Wiafe Addai is a wife, mother and teacher. Her manner is refined, gentle and very courteous when dealing with people. Her generosity is phenomenal just like St. Francis of Assisi or Madam Theresa of Calcutta. She is extremely modest and unassuming to the point of sometimes seeming almost hesitant in making an assertion. She does not take no for an answer, if she wants something she goes and gets it. She makes no compromises and never tries to hide mistakes concerning what matters most to her. Nor is she afraid to admit having been in the wrong. She is not a passionate or articulate Speaker, her manner is calm and serene and she appeals particularly to the intelligence.